Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Treble Clef Candy Cane Ornaments

Since I've been seeing all the "Christmas In July" advertisements on television commercials, I thought I would blog about something I made for my choir and Orff kids at Christmas time.

As I was driving home that evening after our Christmas concert, I was overwhelmed with pride and joy. My students had performed amazingly and I felt compelled to do something for them. The concert was on a Thursday and the last day of school was Friday. Whatever I did had to be done that evening and couldn't cost a ton of money. Then, the idea just hit me. I could turn a candy cane upside down and add a pipe cleaner to make a treble clef.


I stopped by the Dollar Store on my way home and bought some colorful candy canes (Spree brand). I had pipe cleaners already at the house. I used hot glue to affix the pipe cleaners to the candy canes. I taped them to a card that thanked them for their hard work and told them to hang the treble clef on their tree and do not open until after Christmas. I plan on making them again this year (unless I magically get a different idea on my drive home one evening)! I may even buy the materials and have them make their own! That would be a nice assessment, to see if they could bend the pipe cleaner to make a treble clef!

UPDATE: I have created a video tutorial and shared a printable card to go with the ornaments.
Click here for the link.

3 comments:

  1. This is an adorable idea that I may just have to use for my choir kiddies this year! Thanks! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I REALLY loved this idea... I added to it and glued ribbons at the top tied in a hanger bow fashion and put jingle bells on the ends of the ribbon =) Giving with Christmas gifts thanks for the idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazingly easy!!! Thank you for sharing it with others!

    ReplyDelete