My second year teaching, I created an Orff visual aid with removable Velcro bars. More details about that instrument can be found on this post.
After 14 years of teaching, the foam board is severely worn. The F was ripped and replaced by folded paper and a paperclip. Many of the labels have multiple layers of scotch tape holding them on. I decided it was time for an upgrade.
If I was going to create a new Orff visual, I wanted it to last until my retirement. So, I decided to make it out of wood. I had some scraps of utility plywood from an art project. I measured and cut my pieces, sanded the edges, and painted with acrylic craft paint.
I have a friend with a Cricut which could custom cut vinyl for the letters. I created white letters for the bars and black letters for underneath the bars. I bought new velcro dots and then sprayed the bars and base with a Mod Podge clear coat.
Here is a picture with the extra sharps and flats.
The students were so excited to see the new "fake instrument". It is functional and aesthetically pleasing. I'm certain this will last for many years to come. I may even get to pass it along to a new teacher when it is finally time for me to retire.
Post a Comment